OP
OP
reef.geek

reef.geek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my anemone and corals at an ALK of 15 to 18.

Here's a pic of a section of my old 90.....

Screenshot_20240707-143847_Chrome.jpg
Looks good! It can get so confusing when it comes to different opinions from LFS

zerozero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! It can get so confusing when it comes to different opinions from LFS
The advice here is pretty consistent for new tanks, with the added benefit that no here gains by trying to sell you something.

It' so exciting when you put your first clown fish in the tank, but I'd hold off for any new fish for a week or two so your tank has time to handle the new additions.

If you want to add anything to the tank I'd suggest copepods and Phytoplankton to feed them. Search on the forum and see if it is for you.

OP
OP
reef.geek

reef.geek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt do the anemone for at least 6 months. Tanks need biological stability which takes time to establish.
I would wait a week for the clownfish to settle first but then you should be fine to add a fish or 2

corals and anemones usually prefer stable parameters to fluctuating ones in range. You will be fine anywhere from about 7 to 12 dkh (the usual range) I would just use your salt mix as reference as it usually helps. You could start dosing all for reef after you have a couple of corals to keep alk up (and cal and traces). No need to start dosing yet though
I will definitely wait untill everything is stable enough, just let it ride and wont chase any numbers

OP
OP
reef.geek

reef.geek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advice here is pretty consistent for new tanks, with the added benefit that no here gains by trying to sell you something.

It' so exciting when you put your first clown fish in the tank, but I'd hold off for any new fish for a week or two so your tank has time to handle the new additions.

If you want to add anything to the tank I'd suggest copepods and Phytoplankton to feed them. Search on the forum and see if it is for you.
I was planning to indeed wait a while before adding new fish,

OP
OP
reef.geek

reef.geek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually feeding them frozen artemia at the moment. What is the difference between copepods and artemia

OP
OP
reef.geek

reef.geek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
reef.geek

reef.geek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually feeding them frozen artemia at the moment. What is the difference between copepods and artemia

OP
OP
reef.geek

reef.geek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw some nice meaty food other side of tank and I bet they will abandon their holding pattern and go feed :)
I will try it, any recommendations for meaty foods? I am currently feeding them frozen artemia.

I am still a little concerned about the male, have feeding them with a pipet and the female is eating from it and even seems to be chasing the food but the male seems to be having a hard time finding the food if its floats near him.
he just doesn’t want to swim away from that corner. But the female is exploring a bit more, my lights are off and the female is sleeping on her own at the same spot but the male has hidden behind a rock alone and hasn’t been moving from the bottom since i got them

OP
OP
reef.geek

reef.geek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes fish normally get pale as they sleep, they will color up when the lights are back on.

Clownfish normally pick a spot they like and usually stick to that spot and rarely move after, its a clown thing.

What do you mean you are adding a 'nitrate decrease'? 10 nitrates is not bad at all, and a water change is the best way to lower nitrates. We frown on most bottled products in this hobby.

The alk is fine. Don't even really need to test alk for fish only tank.

I think your clowns look fine. I would just try to aim the powerhead towards the surface to get some more agitation. It looks like your main filtration is a hob filter, so surface agitation will be the main way to oxygenate the water. Perhaps even add another small powerhead on the opposite side.
Earlier you mentioned that the surface agitation will be the main way to oxygenate the water.
What happened is that because of the height between the filter and the water itself a lot of air bubbles got into the tank. So i lowered the filter a little bit so that the water that returns back into the tank doesn’t create as much air bubbles.
Could you explain a big more about this? From what i read is that air bubbles are harmful for saltwater fish and that still water is better

OP
OP
reef.geek

reef.geek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, lots of beautiful shrimps to choose from, cleaners, fire shrimp, bumble bee shrimp, sexy shrimp, etc.... I prefer sexy shrimp and bumble shrimp cause they like to be kept in groups.

Can even get some of the safer crabs like hermit crabs or pom pom crabs, etc...

Add some snails as algae starts to grow in the tank.

For fish I would wait a month, let the tank get established to handle this new bioload since you just added your first fish
I already have a CUC 2 blue legged hermits, turbo snails and 2 zombie snails. But i didnt get a shrimp yet because my LSF informed me they are sensitive to alkalinity…. But you would say i should be fine to get 1 or 2 ?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 45 33.8%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 14 10.5%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 60 45.1%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 32 24.1%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back