Help! What is messing with my zoas

90addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to reefing in general...I just got my first zoas from a local coral and fish shop. What are these things I find that are messing with them? Are they harming the Pandora's or just annoying it? Lastly, should I try and eradicate them? If so, with what? 55gl with bta, 2 clownfish, cleaner shrimp, sand sifting star and some cuc... Links to YouTube where I uploaded videos

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like amphipods, they are little micro crustaceans, similar to copepods, they are harmless and part of everyones tank. Since you only have 2 fish in a large tank, the population is probably increased at the moment which is why you see them so easily.

OP
OP
90addict

90addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like amphipods, they are little micro crustaceans, similar to copepods, they are harmless and part of everyones tank. Since you only have 2 fish in a large tank, the population is probably increased at the moment which is why you see them so easily.
In your opinion, what fish can I add that is reef safe, that will eat them? My Pandora's won't even open cause of them. They've been closed longer than open today

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm aware that certain kinds of wrasses will eat them, but I;m not sure sorry.

But if you don't mind my being straightforward, the video shows brand new sterile rocks, and with (no offense) "new to reefing", there could be so may other possibilities of the real problem that would be more likely than amphipods bothering the coral.

I'm kind of willing to bet that the likely problem is low nutrients (nitrate and phosphate), zoa's generally like 'dirtier' water but your tank is very new.

If you want to share more details like tank age, parameters, lighting and flow, I'm sure many here can offer suggestions.

OP
OP
90addict

90addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is pretty "new". 40lbs of live rock and 30lbs of old dry rock that I bleached. Here's my parameters from today at my lfs. Hygger wave maker and light is fluval 3.0
IMG_3771.png

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW ARE YOUR CORALS DOING TODAY? HONEST ANSWERS ONLY!

• Everything seems to be doing great!

Votes: 31 21.5%
  • Almost everything is doing good!

Votes: 47 32.6%
  • Some are doing good, others not so much...

Votes: 34 23.6%
  • They're okay, I guess.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • They're not doing too well right now.

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Not good at all...

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back