Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Tinnerito

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! What would be yall's opinion on dosing for my future macro tank with nitrates? A current tank of mine with a few fish, a few corals, and a bit of macro is already difficult to keep nitrates in balance, so I would imagine a tank full of macroalgae would need more support. If I were to dose, then I'm thinking of going neonitro. The plan for this tank is to have a few fish, a lot of inverts, no corals, but a lot of macroalgae. ^u^

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! What would be yall's opinion on dosing for my future macro tank with nitrates? A current tank of mine with a few fish, a few corals, and a bit of macro is already difficult to keep nitrates in balance, so I would imagine a tank full of macroalgae would need more support. If I were to dose, then I'm thinking of going neonitro. The plan for this tank is to have a few fish, a lot of inverts, no corals, but a lot of macroalgae. ^u^
I would recommend ammonia instead of nitrate.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is at a stable level. Tests for 0.25, however nitrate always at 0 unless I feed insane amounts of food
In that case nitrate is your best choice, I was thinking you were asking as in a source of nutrient for the algae, as they will assimilate ammonia easier compared to nitrate were they have to spend energy to convert it.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the amino acids add nitrate to the system?

They are basically a phosphate free food that bacteria, corals, and probably macroalgae can take up (based on a quick google search for macroalgae lol). Whatever isn't consumed will be broken down into forms of nitrogen like ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. For example, I use vitachem marine, soak flakes in it, then whatever washes off or isn't used goes to my coral. I tend to prefer just feeding heavily to provide macroalgae what they need, but the nice thing about aminos is that they don't have phosphate so, if that is a concern, you don't need to worry about the additional phosphate.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of us think ammonia is easier for corals and macro to use, hence we dose some form like ammonium bicarbonate. If not used by the macro, it will be converted into nitrate.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd be dosing some form of Ammonia rather than Nitrate.

Btw, I expect your ammonia test is incorrect if it is showing 0.25 in a cycled tank

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd be dosing some form of Ammonia rather than Nitrate.

Btw, I expect your ammonia test is incorrect if it is showing 0.25 in a cycled tank
He his using most likely an api test kit. Common error

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 14 10.7%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 59 45.0%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 16 12.2%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 35 26.7%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back