Club Zoa needs help!!! Everyone please read!!

fernb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Josh,
As a newbie to zoas and palys I am interested in learning how new morphs come about and how do you know when you have a stable new morph (it will reproduce same characterisctics) before you give it a name and release it to public. There seems to be no organized nomenclature review or a database. It is very confusing to me.
Thank you
Fern

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great ideas everyone! Thanks Josh!

OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Josh,
As a newbie to zoas and palys I am interested in learning how new morphs come about and how do you know when you have a stable new morph (it will reproduce same characterisctics) before you give it a name and release it to public. There seems to be no organized nomenclature review or a database. It is very confusing to me.
Thank you
Fern
LOL! It's confusing for everyone. There's a lot of names for everything. You know about a stable morph when it doesn't revert back to what it was before in other peoples tanks. Very soon R2R will be the official place for named morphs, their characteristics and similar morphs. With the best search feature in the universe. lol
Great ideas everyone! Thanks Josh!
NP Sir!!
Regarding the topic on zoa melting, maybe some discussion about H2O2 dips as a cure.
I'm not familiar with H2o2. I'll research it and work on that.

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think true or false threads would be awesome as well. Like if asterinas really do eat zoas and stuff like that. Stories of "that one fish that ate all my zoas!"

Or for morphs that are out there a lot but don't have a solid name, we can all take a vote on a name for them and then submit it to coralpedia to get it official.

For example, these are a great looking morph and are popping up across from various vendors all with different names. This one is called Diddy Kongs from Reefkoi, my friend calls them Valyrian Steels (after a uber weapon from Game of Thrones.
5hddiddys_LRG.jpg

Zoa grow out contests would be fun as well! Like everyone has 4-6 months to start with one polyp of a morph and see who gets the best growth at the end of the contest. The winner will explain how their zoas grew so well so that others see what the differences were and what makes zoas grow faster.

OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think true or false threads would be awesome as well. Like if asterinas really do eat zoas and stuff like that. Stories of "that one fish that ate all my zoas!"

Or for morphs that are out there a lot but don't have a solid name, we can all take a vote on a name for them and then submit it to coralpedia to get it official.

For example, these are a great looking morph and are popping up across from various vendors all with different names. This one is called Diddy Kongs from Reefkoi, my friend calls them Valyrian Steels (after a uber weapon from Game of Thrones.
5hddiddys_LRG.jpg

Zoa grow out contests would be fun as well! Like everyone has 4-6 months to start with one polyp of a morph and see who gets the best growth at the end of the contest. The winner will explain how their zoas grew so well so that others see what the differences were and what makes zoas grow faster.
I love it!!!! This will cause r2r a lot of problems because people will like their morph to prevail but I'm sure REV will take care of everything hahahahahaahah! That's why we're working on an awesome database!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For named zoas light and flow best position in the tank
This is what I'm hoping the database will include how to take care of z/ps and placement from everyone here with lots of pictures of all spectrums. With all of the members on r2r working together this will be awesome!

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh duh. We need a shipping thread stickied! It's always a shame to see threads of people with sweet zoas but can't ship. People that have good experience with shipping should post, the more variety the better!

I think adding the going price for the morphs/ID threads would be a good idea too so people can know if they're getting a good, fair, or bad deal. Like on a scale of 1-5 $ bill signs maybe. But actually prices would be better.

$10-$20 = $
$20-$40 = $$
$40-$60 = $$$
$60-$100 = $$$$
$100+ = $$$$$
Krakatoa = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh duh. We need a shipping thread stickied! It's always a shame to see threads of people with sweet zoas but can't ship. People that have good experience with shipping should post, the more variety the better!

I think adding the going price for the morphs/ID threads would be a good idea too so people can know if they're getting a good, fair, or bad deal. Like on a scale of 1-5 $ bill signs maybe. But actually prices would be better.

$10-$20 = $
$20-$40 = $$
$40-$60 = $$$
$60-$100 = $$$$
$100+ = $$$$$
lol you're a troublemaker like me that's why I like you lol.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's already a zoa data base, but it's really cluttered with a lot of incorrect names.

Are you volunteering to help us get it in order? :D

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should also be a sticky on how to properly make an ID submission.

PolandSpring started a really good trend with his submissions.

"Blue Lagoons

Flow: Medium
Light: Medium
Difficutly: Moderate
Growth: Slow at first, then moderate.

Blue Lagoons
10.jpg
"

I think adding numbers like on a scale of 1-10 would be even better like Travis of Planet Zoa does with his labels. And always 2x check if you're unsure if your morph already has a name or not! Will help the database from being cluttered with 10 different names for the same zoa. If you think it's new but unsure be sure to post in the ID Identification thread!

OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should also be a sticky on how to properly make an ID submission.

PolandSpring started a really good trend with his submissions.

"Blue Lagoons

Flow: Medium
Light: Medium
Difficutly: Moderate
Growth: Slow at first, then moderate.

Blue Lagoons
10.jpg
"

I think adding numbers like on a scale of 1-10 would be even better like Travis of Planet Zoa does with his labels. And always 2x check if you're unsure if your morph already has a name or not! Will help the database from being cluttered with 10 different names for the same zoa. If you think it's new but unsure be sure to post in the ID Identification thread!
We're on the ideas phase, when we do a thread about each individual topic we will need everyones input on how to make the database the best. Just like mouth color, skirt color, lines, speckles all that stuff.

sneakerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

$10-$20 = $
$20-$40 = $$
$40-$60 = $$$
$60-$100 = $$$$
$100+ = $$$$$

Great idea, a price check on zoas can also be incorporated

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Acanholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

5hddiddys_LRG.jpg

Bro every fish is capable of eating or not eating zoas I have seen a blue tang eating polyps and aquariums with big angelfishes and large colonies of zoas

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back