Club Zoa needs help!!! Everyone please read!!

andijo81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about seperating the database by types? Microzoa, zoanthid, paly, proto paly... It would make identification that much easier, IMO. Plus, I'm dying to see a micro and proto "Death" paly thread:D

OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about seperating the database by types? Microzoa, zoanthid, paly, proto paly... It would make identification that much easier, IMO. Plus, I'm dying to see a micro and proto "Death" paly thread:D

I will do a zoa database Idea thread soon. lets keep on with new ideas and then we will brainstorm how to make each topic the best.

fernb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to compare what you are experiencing and attempting to do with Zoanthids and Palythoas to what the American Hibiscus Society was experiencing back in the 1950's. There was too much confusion with names, etc. so the American Hibiscus Society was born here in Fort Myers, Florida to be the official organization to approve new hybrids (morphs in our case) and approve the name and keep a database of all named and registered hibiscus hybrids. New hybrids are submitted for acceptance through this society. This is done online by filling out a form and submitting photos. Something similar could be done for zoanthids and palys, otherwise the confusion will just get worse as more morphs are introduced and people decide to change the names of established morphs (morphs already in existence for some time).
Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to compare what you are experiencing and attempting to do with Zoanthids and Palythoas to what the American Hibiscus Society was experiencing back in the 1950's. There was too much confusion with names, etc. so the American Hibiscus Society was born here in Fort Myers, Florida to be the official organization to approve new hybrids (morphs in our case) and approve the name and keep a database of all named and registered hibiscus hybrids. New hybrids are submitted for acceptance through this society. This is done online by filling out a form and submitting photos. Something similar could be done for zoanthids and palys, otherwise the confusion will just get worse as more morphs are introduced and people decide to change the names of established morphs (morphs already in existence for some time).
Just my 2 cents.

R2R Zoa naming society of the world. I like the sound. lol They do the same with clownfish.

Bjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sticky thread about known methods to try to prevent/stop melting zoas!

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really have any new ideas other than what has been posted however I think there should be some baselining in place for the DB. When people say medium light that really is not clear at. Every tank is different, one might have MH, other T5, LED and so on. One tank might be 18" tall the next 31". Medium light is way too subjective and in my opinion not much help. This seems quite tedious and a tall order but if you can figure it out how to remove as much subjective information as possible it will be all the better.

fernb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again using the Hibuscus Society as a my model.
Have new morphs submitted for possible Zoanthid/Paly of the year award. Have the membership vote on top four candidates. To be the winner each morph has to be grown out by a comittee of six individuals who will decide on which morph is worthy of that title. This is based on physical characteristics, ie. color, form. cultivation,ie, ease of growth, Stability, ie, does the new morph grow true or change to another known morph (in which case it is weliminated from competition)
With hibiscus the awarrd for Hibiscus of the year for 2012 will be announced the end of 2013. Takes a year for the comittee to evaluate each candidate.

fernb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really have any new ideas other than what has been posted however I think there should be some baselining in place for the DB. When people say medium light that really is not clear at. Every tank is different, one might have MH, other T5, LED and so on. One tank might be 18" tall the next 31". Medium light is way too subjective and in my opinion not much help. This seems quite tedious and a tall order but if you can figure it out how to remove as much subjective information as possible it will be all the better.

better to have a PAR value if known. Much more usefull

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm all in for the grow out competition. I don't mind sharing my shipping techniques. I think best idea is making videos and posting them. Easiest way to learn.

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm thinking maybe I can find an interesting morph that has a decent amount of polyps and then have everyone just pay for shipping. I just don't have enough shipping boxes though haha... Maybe we can get a vendor to help us with that.

Or Mr. Porky can send us all CB Bowsers. :)

OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But this is the ideas forum. Each idea will get it's own thread and then we can plan how to make it better.

OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm thinking maybe I can find an interesting morph that has a decent amount of polyps and then have everyone just pay for shipping. I just don't have enough shipping boxes though haha... Maybe we can get a vendor to help us with that.

Or Mr. Porky can send us all CB Bowsers. :)

I'm pretty sure the're will be plenty of vendors willing to help us.

ak_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A section on Hawaiian PE's do's and dont's..etc.

Sent from the great beyond via Tapatalk 2.5!!

OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just seem a little more finicky for me. Just wondering if there was anything different that I should do with them compared to other z/p.

Sent from the great beyond via Tapatalk 2.5!!

OK added to the topics to discuss.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back