Club Zoa needs help!!! Everyone please read!!

Ninjapotamus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine a word document. Now imagine if everyone can work on it at the same time without stepping on each others toes. 1 version that is saved on the web, that anyone with an invite can access/edit as they please. Some of these articles may be better if multiple people all work together, this would make that very easy. Plus its a lot more fun to work together =P

A forum is a much more passive form of collaboration IMO. People go off and work on their articles and then bring them to the forum when they are ready. Google doc just creates the article online so that everyone can actively work in its development.

Last edited:

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something on "palys" as they're defined by the average hobbyist/collector and how they are not palythoa and most are just a zoanthus species...

Last edited:
OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine a word document. Now imagine if everyone can work on it at the same time without stepping on each others toes. 1 version that is saved on the web, that anyone with an invite can access/edit as they please. Some of these articles may be better if multiple people chime in, this would make that very easy. Plus its a lot more fun to work together =P

Ok. That's the same way it will work here. We will have someone that knows a lot on a matter and have them write something and everyone contribute once it's finished we will sticky it. 1 lead person and lots of contributors. But everyone will see what others write even people that know nothing on the matter. The editing, copying and pasting will be done by one or 2 people only like editors.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like how to differ between zoas and palys? How they are all zoanthus?

Nope, just one of many many examples... Red People Eaters (or any other PE for the most part), widely called palys or palythoa by hobbyists are actually Zoanthus gigantus.

JVI90gREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Z/P's are slow/medium/fast growers (generally, obviously everyone's tank is going to be different) and tie in how much the Z/P's are going for and how attainable they are.

For example

Bowser, $$$$$, slow grower, not easily attainable

AOG, $, grows quickly, easily attainable

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm excited about this!

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine a word document. Now imagine if everyone can work on it at the same time without stepping on each others toes. 1 version that is saved on the web, that anyone with an invite can access/edit as they please. Some of these articles may be better if multiple people all work together, this would make that very easy. Plus its a lot more fun to work together =P

A forum is a much more passive form of collaboration IMO. People go off and work on their articles and then bring them to the forum when they are ready. Google doc just creates the article online so that everyone can actively work in its development.

That would be a cool idea. Sort of like wikipedia.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would like to keep all the data here though please. Work on it here.

Wankell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe add Vitamin C dosing to the list, I think it deserves its own section. Just started 3 days ago and im already getting receding slime on a completely covered frag.

JVI90gREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on Vit C dosing

I'm just now finishing up my first bottle, getting a shipment tomorrow of more Sodium Ascorbate as a matter of fact! I swear by the stuff

OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to keep all the data here though please. Work on it here.
Pertaining to this guys the way this is going to work is.......

1. We will open a thread on the subject
2. I will ask someone that knows a lot on the matter to write about it.
3. We will all have a few months to discuss it and maybe add stuff to it.
4. We will piece together the article.
5. We will sticky it so everyone can see how awesome the reef2reef zoa community is...

I really do not like the idea of google docs because if there's too many people i think it will be too many butting heads...... ok ok there will be lots of fighting and arguing but I like the fact that the person who writes about a subject can give us a bit of direction and we'll go from there. lol we haven't even started and there's division already lololol. I'm a trouble maker so I will have lots of fun doing all this topics ROFL!!!!!! Rev don't ban me yet!!!!!!!!!!

JVI90gREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pertaining to this guys the way this is going to work is.......

1. We will open a thread on the subject
2. I will ask someone that knows a lot on the matter to write about it.
3. We will all have a few months to discuss it and maybe add stuff to it.
4. We will piece together the article.
5. We will sticky it so everyone can see how awesome the reef2reef zoa community is...

I really do not like the idea of google docs because if there's too many people i think it will be too many butting heads...... ok ok there will be lots of fighting and arguing but I like the fact that the person who writes about a subject can give us a bit of direction and we'll go from there. lol we haven't even started and there's division already lololol. I'm a trouble maker so I will have lots of fun doing all this topics ROFL!!!!!! Rev don't ban me yet!!!!!!!!!!

Worst idea EVER, but whatever...LOL!!! I kid, I kid...just keeping the mood light

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other ways of fragging zoas as naturally as possible to ensure a "stronger" strain of selected type zoas? This is something i'm experimenting with as I see how zoas reproduce 2 different ways in the wild.

OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other ways of fragging zoas as naturally as possible to ensure a "stronger" strain of selected type zoas? This is something i'm experimenting with as I see how zoas reproduce 2 different ways in the wild.

I only know of the butcher method!!!!! What do you mean? How about a secretreefer video of zoas in the wild!!!! I would love that. Or a reef2reef fieldtrip and you take us snorkling!!!! I bet the wives would love that!!!

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can do brutha. Just sold my gopro 2 and trying to fund a 3 black edition. What I meant was that i have colonies that "pop" off polyps or when i cut them off I let them float around in the frag tank and i put small 1" -2" broken pieces of live rock all over the bottom. I found that when I naturally let them "attach" themselves to the pieces of live rock, those do "healthier" and have a shorter healing time compared to those i cut and glue to a frag plug. Think ricordia/leather type fragging where after you cut it you put it in a tall cup (and that in the frag tank) with bits of live rock on the bottom and put the piece you cut in the cup. I'll be doing more experimenting too as I currently have a 6'x3'x 16" pen i'm trying to setup outside to do all 100% sunlight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
joshporksandwich

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can do brutha. Just sold my gopro 2 and trying to fund a 3 black edition. What I meant was that i have colonies that "pop" off polyps or when i cut them off I let them float around in the frag tank and i put small 1" -2" broken pieces of live rock all over the bottom. I found that when I naturally let them "attach" themselves to the pieces of live rock, those do "healthier" and have a shorter healing time compared to those i cut and glue to a frag plug. Think ricordia/leather type fragging where after you cut it you put it in a tall cup (and that in the frag tank) with bits of live rock on the bottom and put the piece you cut in the cup. I'll be doing more experimenting too as I currently have a 6'x3'x 16" pen i'm trying to setup outside to do all 100% sunlight.

Ohhh cool. I had a tank outside and it was sick.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back