Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a link to Randy's article on chlorine before and it would be prudent for those of you dosing bleach to read it. It scared me off from trying bleach. My dinos were never toxic and I only wanted to get rid of them for aesthetic reasons, so didn't want to risk my fish with bleach. The long-term consequences are unknown.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/rhf/feature/

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I posted a link to Randy's article on chlorine before and it would be prudent for those of you dosing bleach to read it. It scared me off from trying bleach. My dinos were never toxic and I only wanted to get rid of them for aesthetic reasons, so didn't want to risk my fish with bleach. The long-term consequences are unknown.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/rhf/feature/

The article is about chloramines, not chlorine. They are not same. The whole reason muni water companies switches to using chloramines is because they last much longer then chlorine in the water. Back in the day, if you wanted to remove chlorine from you water before using it in the tank, all you had to do is age the water overnight. Now you have to use prime to deal with chloramines, or RODI with chloramine removing filters.

For the purpose in this thread, chlorine is in the water for a few hours dealing with dynos, and then it's gone. In-tank dissipation is even faster then usual aging process due to powerheads.

Mark75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it seems I will be joining the battle against Dinoflagellates. :(

50 gal. sps dominate cube, 7 months old.

Brown slimy growth started on sand bed and now covers rock also. It is heaviest at the end of the light cycle,...lightest of the morning. I can blwo off rocks/sand and it comes back in just a few minutes. I have been unsure if this was dinos or cyano but I think I have my answer. I recently started running a 100m filter sock and blowing off the rock/sand as often as I can and catching what comes of in the 100m filter sock and then cleaning the sock. I noticed yesterday that brown stringy stuff was clinging to the outside of the filter sock full of the stuff blown off the rock/sand. doesn't

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BoneXriffic, How long have been dino free?! Are the fish free of velvet? Cannot remember your dosing procedure for dinos so can you summarize? Did you ever get cyano or green hair algae, or both? Have you lost any fish or corals? Have you done any water changes?

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BoneXriffic, How long have been dino free?! Are the fish free of velvet? Cannot remember your dosing procedure for dinos so can you summarize? Did you ever get cyano or green hair algae, or both? Have you lost any fish or corals? Have you done any water changes?
5ml of 6percent bleach 2 times per day for a month and a half. No fish loss, nor inverts and corals.

Yes cyano and hair, which i am using peroxcide for now.

3 weeks roughly no dinos returning. And no signs of velvet on fish.

Only oddity i found was bleach was slowly raising my salinity. This make sense however seeing as it is formed with salts

Indid one waterchange a week after bleach. Corals actually looked prettier during bleach treatment lol

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5ml of 6percent bleach 2 times per day for a month and a half. No fish loss, nor inverts and corals.

Only oddity i found was bleach was slowly raising my salinity. This make sense however seeing as it is formed with salts

Indid one waterchange a week after bleach. Corals actually looked prettier during bleach treatment lol
How big is you tank?

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good to see people stepping out of the box to fight for what we have put so much time and effort in.
Bleach

I know a LOT of people would shake their head at this but I will tell you right now bleach will become a tool for fighting most all problems in a tank.
My goal has always been... to save a tank from breakdown

I would like anyone who has used bleach to post up your username. Not looking for details just the number of users.
Thank you all for following through this lengthy thread and sticking by my side in this battle.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is fantastic!! Thanks for the info So happy for the fish too! Yes, corals look great during bleach tr
How big is you tank?

Donaldf973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a full tank break down and cleaning everything in hot water, bleached empty tank, dipped all frags in freshwater/h202, scrubbed rock to hell in freshwater sterilized sand bed dinos are back in my 4 gallon again:mad:

Tank's been set up again for about a lil over a week and i just saw a **** load of strings after having the lights on for about 2-3 hours right now

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard I've got a bottle of DinoXal sitting in front of me. The label says Poly-(hexamethyllenebiguanide) hydrochloride. Here's a linky of interest for someone about PHMB. Maybe it can help in your quest to rid the world of dinos...http://www.eajournals.org/wp-conten...-Hydrochloride-Features-and-Applications1.pdf

By the way has anyone used DinoXal? I can't read enough German to read the directions seems like quite a few Europeans have used it to rid their tanks of dinos. I got it for a friend's tank who is suffering through dinos.

CJBuckeyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard I started dosing bleach 4 days ago. It started about 3 weeks ago with what I thought was cyano. I dosed h202 for two weeks with no results, then did chemiclean. During this these treatments my tank turned into a wasteland of dinos. All of my fish are in quarantine, so I hit it with bleach pretty hard. 6ml 2x/day of 8% bleach. My rocks cleared up 90% by day 3, but the dinos on the sand are taking longer. They appear to be starting to decline as of today.

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard I started dosing bleach 4 days ago. It started about 3 weeks ago with what I thought was cyano. I dosed h202 for two weeks with no results, then did chemiclean. During this these treatments my tank turned into a wasteland of dinos. All of my fish are in quarantine, so I hit it with bleach pretty hard. 6ml 2x/day of 8% bleach. My rocks cleared up 90% by day 3, but the dinos on the sand are taking longer. They appear to be starting to decline as of today.
Bleach will kill them. You can siphon the sand if you like. The question is what are you gonna do with the fish? They have dinos on them as well and you will likely transfer dinos with the fish back to DT. That's what happened to me

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@twilliard I've got a bottle of DinoXal sitting in front of me. The label says Poly-(hexamethyllenebiguanide) hydrochloride. Here's a linky of interest for someone about PHMB. Maybe it can help in your quest to rid the world of dinos...http://www.eajournals.org/wp-conten...-Hydrochloride-Features-and-Applications1.pdf

By the way has anyone used DinoXal? I can't read enough German to read the directions seems like quite a few Europeans have used it to rid their tanks of dinos. I got it for a friend's tank who is suffering through dinos.

Dino-x is known not to work on ostreopsis, but does work on other dino species.

Donaldf973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up 8.25% clorox yesterday and started dosing 0.3ml to 5 gallons of water every 12 hours. I noticed the bleach smell is gone after an hour is that normal?

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up 8.25% clorox yesterday and started dosing 0.3ml to 5 gallons of water every 12 hours. I noticed the bleach smell is gone after an hour is that normal?
Sure, lol. There are many factors that affect gas off time. Aeration isnthe biggest obviously. So every tank will be different

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 19.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 192 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.6%
Back