fluconazole x bryopsis

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is cool and all

"This inhibition prevents the conversion of lanosterol to ergosterol, an essential component of the fungal cytoplasmic membrane, and subsequent accumulation of 14α-methyl sterols.[20] Fluconazole is primarily fungistatic; however, it may be fungicidal against certain organisms in a dose-dependent manner, specifically Cryptococcus.[29]"

But I its ability to disrupt this

"Fluconazole is an inhibitor of the human cytochrome P450 system, particularly the isozyme CYP2C19 (CYP3A4 and CYP2C9 to lesser extent) [27]"

I find most interesting. The cytochrome P450 system is not unique to humans or fungi. This also could disrupt the uptake of a vital element for bryopsis to live, Fe. Just a guess.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytochrome_P450

So, be warned if that's it it could effect more then bryopsis like many other microorganisms.

Like this interesting fact
"Cytochrome P450 eryF (CYP107A1) originally from the actinomycete bacterium Saccharopolyspora erythraea is responsible for the biosynthesis of the antibiotic erythromycin by C6-hydroxylation of the macrolide 6-deoxyerythronolide B."

Or

"
Plants
Plant cytochrome P450s are involved in a wide range of biosynthetic reactions and target a diverse range of biomolecules. These reactions lead to various fatty acid conjugates, plant hormones, secondary metabolites, lignins, and a variety of defensive compounds.[44] Plant genome annotations suggest that Cytochrome P450 genes make up as much as 1% of the plant genes. The number and diversity of P450 genes is responsible, in part, for the multitude of bioactive compounds.[45]"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This is cool and all

"This inhibition prevents the conversion of lanosterol to ergosterol, an essential component of the fungal cytoplasmic membrane, and subsequent accumulation of 14α-methyl sterols.[20] Fluconazole is primarily fungistatic; however, it may be fungicidal against certain organisms in a dose-dependent manner, specifically Cryptococcus.[29]"

But I its ability to disrupt this

"Fluconazole is an inhibitor of the human cytochrome P450 system, particularly the isozyme CYP2C19 (CYP3A4 and CYP2C9 to lesser extent) [27]"

I find most interesting. The cytochrome P450 system is not unique to humans or fungi. This also could disrupt the uptake of a vital element for bryopsis to live, Fe. Just a guess.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytochrome_P450

So, be warned if that's it it could effect more then bryopsis like many other microorganisms.

Like this interesting fact
"Cytochrome P450 eryF (CYP107A1) originally from the actinomycete bacterium Saccharopolyspora erythraea is responsible for the biosynthesis of the antibiotic erythromycin by C6-hydroxylation of the macrolide 6-deoxyerythronolide B."

Or

"
Plants
Plant cytochrome P450s are involved in a wide range of biosynthetic reactions and target a diverse range of biomolecules. These reactions lead to various fatty acid conjugates, plant hormones, secondary metabolites, lignins, and a variety of defensive compounds.[44] Plant genome annotations suggest that Cytochrome P450 genes make up as much as 1% of the plant genes. The number and diversity of P450 genes is responsible, in part, for the multitude of bioactive compounds.[45]"
Wow unbelievable stuff, great work. So in all reality, its a possible risk. The few people that have used the medicine, saw a complete 100% die off just from one treatment. Only took about a week or 2 before they started going about their normal maintenance routine. Is their any sort of half life on this stuff?

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Do acros approve this treatment?
Too soon enuff to say, every trial so far proved their fine,fish,lps,inverts, even cyano and gha that where all fine.I heard the ph stayed stable as well but then again its only ben about a month or two.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely think it's proceed with caution....however, initial trials have been very promising. After approximately two weeks you begin water changes and adding carbon to remove the drug.

Bassett22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a 29 gallon I just started up and cycled with a MASSIVE outbreak right now. Since the tank is young and only has a couple fish and corals I was planning on ripping it all apart and scrubbing the tank in bleach and starting it over. Where can I get this medicine? Id be happy to try it before I start over.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a test order to see if they are for real.

:eek: They are real! :D FYI, you want to open up the capsules and empty the drug out of the capsules....don't put the capsules in your tank!

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ive got a 29 gallon I just started up and cycled with a MASSIVE outbreak right now. Since the tank is young and only has a couple fish and corals I was planning on ripping it all apart and scrubbing the tank in bleach and starting it over. Where can I get this medicine? Id be happy to try it before I start over.
If theres a half life on the fish flucon id try it. The dose is pretty heavy, maybe get some carbon also.

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a test order to see if they are for real.

My order from them came in today.

FishFlucon_zpsnanbm9t0.jpg

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You knew about this?

I've been reading about this for a little while.

I am usually pretty thorough at inspecting all my frags/fish and always qt everything no matter what but a few frags that had what looked like regular green surface algae that I brushed clean(or so I thought) ended up coming back a month later and waving its ugly fern fans at me. I was able to remove one of the frags and re-frag it without too much destruction but the other two are not in ideal places for removal. I've dealt with Bryopsis in the past and it's a real pain to say the least. I've always been nervous to remove new frags from their plugs (especially high end ones)but I'll never put another coral in my tank without removing it first.

I will be dosing 4000mgs in my system while removing my gfo/gac and skimmer cup.

This is not the only thing that I'm dealing with at the moment as I have been slowly removing my DSB that has been in my tank now for around 14 years but that's an entirely different thread lol.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've been reading about this for a little while.

I am usually pretty thorough at inspecting all my frags/fish and always qt everything no matter what but a few frags that had what looked like regular green surface algae that I brushed clean(or so I thought) ended up coming back a month later and waving its ugly fern fans at me. I was able to remove one of the frags and re-frag it without too much destruction but the other two are not in ideal places for removal. I've dealt with Bryopsis in the past and it's a real pain to say the least. I've always been nervous to remove new frags from their plugs (especially high end ones)but I'll never put another coral in my tank without removing it first.

I will be dosing 4000mgs in my system while removing my gfo/gac and skimmer cup.

This is not the only thing that I'm dealing with at the moment as I have been slowly removing my DSB that has been in my tank now for around 14 years but that's an entirely different thread lol.
Amazing, hope everything turns out great! Let us know how it works

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back