fluconazole x bryopsis

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who is willing to ship me some bryopsis? And yes I am serious! I need to get some growing out for this :)

I'll try and find something shippable. Unfortunately all my rocks are very large chunks of pukani. If not I'll figure something out. I think you need some of mine. It is nearly indestructable.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fixing to trade my purple tang in, he is useless, all he eats is acans! We'll see if I can catch him. He's a big meany anyway. So far (like the bryopsis) he is winning! :D
haha I've had the same problem with a new Kole tang so I feel your pain, as soon as it was in the tank, he trimmed all of the Clam Mantles. I can show you how to build a cheap fish trap PM me.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha I've had the same problem with a new Kole tang so I feel your pain, as soon as it was in the tank, he trimmed all of the Clam Mantles. I can show you how to build a cheap fish trap PM me.

Good grief! This is a large 5"+ purple tang. (PM sent)

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Dude my tang mows bryopsis like it's nobody's business, not sure why a lot of people have problem with it, yellow tangs are literally gold . I keep my tang fed but I would skip feeding h

Do these pills come with bubble coral seeds too? haha, jk regardless that's a great news, if these things work so well.
Ive seen my purple tang eat it, i most likely have it somewhere else in my tank growing. But from what ive seen so far, just grows on a frag plug that came from rrusa, has 2 tiny fern stems that regrows every week. Tang just sweeps by with one bite.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm fixing to trade my purple tang in, he is useless, all he eats is acans! We'll see if I can catch him. He's a big meany anyway. So far (like the bryopsis) he is winning! :D
Oh man! Ive had a runt before myself, the one i have now is such a pain sometimes it drives me crazy. Sooner or later, hell be sumped. Its bound to happen =)

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a straight up gangster. I also have an ebili mimic that's grown up with this monster, about a week ago he took over dominant position in the tank. (I noticed the change at the algae magnet). A couple days later mr purple is eating acans. :rolleyes: Big baby.

Neither one of them even notices the bryopsis.

I did toss some lettuce nudibranchs in there, but we will see if they have any impact at all. (This is assuming I don't just dose the meds when they show up).

I personally think complete and total erradication of this stuff is really the only option. Unfortunately.

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and ordered some through Amazon. I cannot seem to get a grip on this stuff, this time around. Knocked it out years ago with TechM, but it definitely doesn't have the same effect as it did years ago. Took almost 2 gallons to see any results, and as soon as I did a water change, it popped right back up. Tried Vibant, at double dose (recommended dose, but at 2x/week, as recommended in the vendor's thread) for more than 2 months. Wiped out all my chaeto, but that's all. Bryopsis seems to have loved it.
As far as livestock, the few corals I have in the tank right now seem to be bullet-proof. There's a mess of anemones in the system too which are a concern, but the pics from the NJ reefers website has an anemone in the tank that looks none the worse after the treatment. I'm more concerned about my fish, but since this is a med used for fish, they should be ok.
I've been reading about this for a little while....

I've always been nervous to remove new frags from their plugs (especially high end ones)but I'll never put another coral in my tank without removing it first.....

I know what you mean about removing frags from plugs. I've never been able to bring myself to do it. It would be nice if this does indeed knock out bryopsis, (with no negative effects), and could be incorporated into part of the QT process.

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more concerned about my fish, but since this is a med used for fish, they should be ok.

So far my fish are not showing any signs of stress. They all appear normal and are still eating. There is no cloudiness or anything else out of place. All corals still have PE and are doing fine.No change in the Bryopsis either but it's only been 1 day of treatment.

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered 60 capsules. What dosage did you all use? Twilliard? NC?

There were two different dosages that were being used. One was 9mg/L and the other was 150mg/30L which is 5mg/L. I have 200 gallons of total water volume in this system which is 757L. So 757L x 9mg/L would be a dose of 6813mg. 757L x 5mg/L would be a dose of 3785mg. I went with 4000mg so it was 20mg per gallon.

I think everyone was seeing their results from the lower dosage so I went with that.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who is willing to ship me some bryopsis? And yes I am serious! I need to get some growing out for this :)
I had planned on a surprise package for you when the weather warms up. But my bryo keeps crashing in the 55(po4 @.2), and the cuc solution seems to be working in the 30 and qt.
And yea, theres a LOT more than bryo on MY samples:D

HmoneyReefOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were two different dosages that were being used. One was 9mg/L and the other was 150mg/30L which is 5mg/L. I have 200 gallons of total water volume in this system which is 757L. So 757L x 9mg/L would be a dose of 6813mg. 757L x 5mg/L would be a dose of 3785mg. I went with 4000mg so it was 20mg per gallon.

I think everyone was seeing their results from the lower dosage so I went with that.

**AWESOME! Thanks, that was what I was trying to figure out. 20mg/gallon seems to be a good inbetween number to use.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
For those giving this a try, please, please, please, start your own thread and document your results....and include pictures. Need to build more information on the use of fluconazole and bryopsis.
Absolutely. Everyone please, who is trying this, please take every precaution and document results as needed. Take some pictures,changes, doses ect, and if you feel the need, please share. Thank you!

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as corals I don't have a clue.
But keep an eye on the fish. Especially if anyone attempts a higher dose or multiple doses. Anorexia and GI issues are common problems with animals taking Fluconazole.

The recommended dosage of Fluconazole as an anti-bacterial for fish diseases calls for multiple doses over a period of no less than 5 days but no more than 10 days. Also the recommended dose is 10-20mg/gallon dosed once every 24hrs for those 5-10 days. Dosage varies depending on the severity of disease.
Some say to perform a 25% wc daily before each dose but some do not.

At 10-20mg/gallon every 24hrs for me would be 2000-4000mgs every day for those 5 to 10 days. This treatment is a one dose treatment at 4000mg for me.

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just extrapolating from other species. We use 5-10mg/kg in dogs and cats as an antifungal. Some of them will become anorexic on fluconazole which can last for 2-3 days beyond stopping the medication. So if anyone sees a decrease in appetite in any fish it might not be wise to continue with the course, especially if you already have any finicky eaters, since it "might" last for a few days.

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those giving this a try, please, please, please, start your own thread and document your results....and include pictures. Need to build more information on the use of fluconazole and bryopsis.

....But my pictures are terrible. :( I can't take a clear picture to save my life.

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just extrapolating from other species. We use 5-10mg/kg in dogs and cats as an antifungal. Some of them will become anorexic on fluconazole which can last for 2-3 days beyond stopping the medication. So if anyone sees a decrease in appetite in any fish it might not be wise to continue with the course, especially if you already have any finicky eaters, since it "might" last for a few days.

I understand....I just wanted to show that this dosage of treatment is well within what is considered "safe" for fish but as with any medication there can be adverse reactions.
Also as a reminder,I am able to remove my fish and corals at the first signs of stress so for anyone thinking about trying this please note that I am only sharing my experiences as to what I'm doing and how everything is going in my system.

Back