Metal Halide - A fading technology?

DeathWish302

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a sunburn working in your tank with LEDs'...... I rest my case, my 400W Radium is here to stay.

My 'Nano LED Project' has been fun, but not nearly as rewarding if I spent that money on three new 400W Radiums for the SPS DT!:bigsmile:

LED does allow some extra punch, but the stunning colors and growth from Radium have only been beat by a couple other bulbs with hoards of VHO actinic supplementation. Hands down, the MH is here to stay in my tank.

OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
LEDs can blind me pretty quickly....

But with that sunburn, comes a big amount of heat that is getting dumped into your tank, which means inefficiency. LEDs don't have that. Which is something I can trade off for a little color loss (if any).

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of lights I just continousely arc weld over my tank

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LEDs can blind me pretty quickly....

But with that sunburn, comes a big amount of heat that is getting dumped into your tank, which means inefficiency. LEDs don't have that. Which is something I can trade off for a little color loss (if any).
lol wut? Heat = inefficiency? If anything it could translate to a more efficient setup being that your heater would hardly have to run during the time in which your lights are on....People have this misconception that LEDs are so cool burning when in reality they give off quite a bit of heat as well. Which in turn brings up the issue that if your unit isnt properly designed with adequate cooling then you could look forward to premature bulb degradation and costly replacements if you're not DIY savvy......

I think we've established that there are pros and cons to every lighting option out there...

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends where you reside. In my location that excess heat warms my tank efficiently about 9 months a year. My led lit tank needs a 200watt heater to "assist" while the lights are on. So any energy savings are basically a myth in cooler climates.

OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My tank runs 81-82 with the lights off due to an enclosed stand. I have several fans that run when the lights come on. I look forward to getting rid of a few of those fans.

Thus the heat, for me, is wasted energy.

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no heat from my leds and my heatsinks are always very cool to the touch. My tank runs about 78-80 in the summer and 77-79 in the winter. I also don't have a heater. Can't imagine what the temp would be if I ran MH..

lamzid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like we have a bunch of people justifying purchases and whining.. Whining that it became a LED bashing thread? As apposed to what? The MH bashing thread Ronnie intended it to be? Yes lets all gather around and pat ourselves on the backs we bought LED and MH must be a fading tech because I can't sell my old equipment! Very scientific hypothesis...

I've run 250w mh over a 20g with no chiller and no heat issues. I have LED over another nano with no issues and happy corals. I have VHO and MH over a 57g. I've ran PC. They all work and aside from PC I would run all again on future tanks depending on my goals and what I aim to accomplish..

Par by itself is a worthless measure, what good is 120 par on the sandbed if it's 4500k? Or if it's only in a focuses part of the tank? Heat and electricity are worthless to those who can afford to offset the costs and still buy all the coral they want. A lot of these types of arguments seem more like sour grapes.. "Well I can't run this setup so therefor the one I CAN run must be the best choice for everyone".

They each have their pros and cons. Nothing in this thread is factual proof of why one tech is better than the other. It's all anecdotal evidence and more opinion than real science. If you like one buy it and let your tank and your results do the talking for you. Not what you "think" is the best for whatever reason you decided to base your opinion on.

/rant

OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've "bashed" nothing, nor do I have any intentions on doing so. It was a simple question. It wasn't stated that it was pure fact, as it wasn't - and isn't, clearly by the numerous people who still love mh.

It seems as though you've woken up on the wrong side of the bed. I'm sorry to offend you - perhaps next time I'll run my questions through you before posting.

;)

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next new tank set up will definitely be all LED's regardless! And hopefully by then the LED prices will be affordable and plus the benefit is a lot less heat, wastage of electricity and it'll take years before you get to replace the led bulbs as opposed to fluorescent T5's & VHO and metal halide bulbs.

I don't really care about the shimmer as long as my corals are very happy and thriving that's all that matters to me most!!!

Paul

lamzid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you weren't bashing I'm not sure what you would call it? Oh yes, purchase justification... Like I said, that's quite a parrallel to draw that since YOU can't sell you MH equipment that the technology as a WHOLE simply must be fading! or you priced to high or no one is intrested in your equipment or, or, or, etc.

Last edited:

lamzid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for illogical rambling on why you *think* LED is the best. When in reality it is just your *opinion* on WHY it works best for you.

OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ironically, I'm not even running LEDs yet.

I am running t5s on my 120 and - get ready for this - a metal halide on my 40b.

If you are going to be a negative Nancy, then please don't post. It is just ruining what was a great discussion, IMO.

lamzid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the key word is yet. See, you already need to justify your purchase by trying to diminish the credit of other techs available and proven.

I don't mean to be a negative nancy. But I can't stand when people blur the line of opinion with fact as if the two are interchangable.

A lot of reasons given for why each tech is the best in this thread is mostly opinion. Nothing more. What is best for use in low power draw situations would be a answer that can be quantified. I'm all for challenging old techs with new techs to determine which is the best and progression in the hobby. But lets keep the conversation scientific and fact based and towards the tech as a whole. Instead of based on the conditions that might make it the best for you and focusing on that one context of the discussion. Which only turns into a circus with everyone gathering around the camp fire to tell their stories of why they think one is better than the other.

OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's a reef forum, and wasn't meant to be scientific. I think that is the confusion. Maybe you missed the question mark at the end of the thread title? (Thus requesting everyone's thoughts - no thesis required)

The thread was started to see what everyone's opinions were on the matter.

You coming in here guns blazing saying that what everyone else is saying is wrong because there is no science behind it comes off a bit negative. I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your statements as such.

I've learned quite a good deal around camp fires, fwiw. And lab coats don't look good on someone as tall as me. ;)

chestnud

Slice & Dice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cali tort that is mostly a blue/purple with some dark green and once moved under my LED's as taken on a neon green body with neon blue tips and green polyps. That one coral definitely brightened up under the leds. Another one that looks really good is the sunset monti in that tank.

lamzid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, as someone else pointed out. This hobby is driven by lemmings and people who are far happier planning a new tank and piecing together the equipment more than they are when they've have a tank running succesfully for 3-4 years straight. People always get excited for the new tech and think it will solve the problems they have with their tanks. While there is no problem with keeping up and seeing what works.. There is something to be said for proven methods and giving them the time to come to fruition. I will refer to a reef builders article I have come to love...

The problem with romanticizing the reef hobby and idolizing demagogues

"So does this mean we should all run our tanks in a more rudimentary manner? Nope. Have fun with it. Go with an approach that appeals to you. Keep yourself excited and engaged. But recognize that a lot of the things you buy or modify are more for your benefit, and your fish and corals could probably care less."

Because really, anyone who is replacing their MH setups for LED isn't doing it for the corals. It's to appease our inner tech nerd or to try to fix something we think is broken(which isn't the lights) and let's not fool ourselves about that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back