OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW I in no way meant anything against RC from my last post. I just meant that I noticed a decline in threads here and over there.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think nearly all corals have a strong potential to be part of the (seemingly) everlasting cycle. Look back through the years at the various things that have hit craze status, then fallen off, then come back (okay, so the Xenia craze never came back, but...well, maybe the Cespit's are bringing them back???). Despite not as many newer morphs coming in (we haven't collected them all, I'm sure;)), there are still a number of nice ones out there and new people entering the hobby. I think everything will drop even more as the recession worsens (I envision an almost mass exodus if the job loss rate continues-who will be able to afford new corals without a job...). I think there are some bad times coming (hope I'm wrong...).

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I general I know it's not over. Zoas and Palys will always be loved by many including myself. What I am talking about is all the hype that has been associated with zoas until recently.

You just don't see it anymore.

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like zoanthids and palythoas but IMO they get lost in big tanks. They to me seem better suited to smaller tanks. As our addiction grows so usually does our tank size. I know when I get my 8 foot tank built the zoanthids will run across the front of the tank and will be seperated by a sandbed from the rest of the tank. They are best seen close up and unless you have a huge colony get lost amongst most other corals.

So what's my point.........the economy is gonna do two things for the hobby. Keep people out of it. Or make people downsize due to cost. The people that downsize will gravitate more toward lower demand corals(zoanthids) but I don't see them dropping big bucks on corals so the prices will drop more than likely. A bunch of the smaller shops will likely realize they can not make a decent living out of it and either scale back or quit(happened to me). And a bunch of new ones will pop up. While the hobby doesn't die it does have peaks and valleys. Spring is right around the corner and sales will dip again as they always do. Remember with fewer new tanks getting set up and the average number of reefers that get out of the hobby for varied reasons will make it a struggle on the business end of the hobby.

Also as a hobbyist grows they only have so much room in the tank for livestock. We need the economy to rebound and people to start putting up more new tanks.

spankey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never!!!!!!
Picture051.jpg

LorenK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there's a small backlash against the naming LE/Rare/UltraRare game.

reefermadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its for sure the chalice and enchino's. seeing 1" frags for nearly $250 is outrageous....C'mon fellas we started sites like this to avoid those prices. I think those who bought them that expesive can frag them for a lot less...Lets see, you buy a frag for $250, you get three frags off it...why not sell frags for say $80 to make your money back...

Anyone selling any chalices for good prices?

rdvab

Texas "Primo"Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sites

Its for sure the chalice and enchino's. seeing 1" frags for nearly $250 is outrageous....C'mon fellas we started sites like this to avoid those prices.

I don't know if that is why sites like this were started,it seems to me sites like this is where they got the boost to be sold at outrageous prices.I mean I have seen some of the same people that blasted Blane for selling ppe's for $50' and giving some to charity,selling LE#$@ or rare $#%@ for $50 and everyone falls right in line.

This site ,and others like it were developed for a group of people (the inner circle) to trade for exotics and then gouge the people on the outside to get the exotics.Of course I am not including everyone in this but all of these specialty sites have been the same.

Now ,that being said,I have bought from some of you and been treated very fairly and it was my choice to pay whatever I paid.But to say sites like this were developed to keep the prices down is rediculous.

Sites like this were developed to help the craze along and keep people pumped about certain corals

My Opinon ...:cool:

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IThis site ,and others like it were developed for a group of people (the inner circle) to trade for exotics and then gouge the people on the outside to get the exotics.Of course I am not including everyone in this but all of these specialty sites have been the same.
That sounds like a great idea! :lol: I should get in on some of that action ;)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know if that is why sites like this were started,it seems to me sites like this is where they got the boost to be sold at outrageous prices.I mean I have seen some of the same people that blasted Blane for selling ppe's for $50' and giving some to charity,selling LE#$@ or rare $#%@ for $50 and everyone falls right in line.

This site ,and others like it were developed for a group of people (the inner circle) to trade for exotics and then gouge the people on the outside to get the exotics.Of course I am not including everyone in this but all of these specialty sites have been the same.

Now ,that being said,I have bought from some of you and been treated very fairly and it was my choice to pay whatever I paid.But to say sites like this were developed to keep the prices down is rediculous.

Sites like this were developed to help the craze along and keep people pumped about certain corals

My Opinon ...:cool:

Your opinion is just that, yours and it does not reflect the TRUTH at all. This site was created for friends to hang out and trade without any rules about trading and selling in certain forums.

This statement you made is totally off, and you really are way off base. Sorry if this seems hard, but it's really like a sucker punch from behind for no reason.

Last edited:

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your opinion is just that, yours and it does not reflect the TRUTH at all. This site was created for friends to hang out and trade without any rules about trading and selling in certain forums.

This statement you made is totally off, and you really are way off base. Sorry if this seems hard, but it's really like a sucker punch from behind for no reason.

Totally agree!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's keep voting!

Last edited:

dough

Reefing since '95
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that there are a lot of good points above. Availability of new morphs etc maybe part of the cause or puzzle.

I'm wondering how the economy and gas prices are effecting the demand, not only from a buyers point of veiw but the wholesalers and retailers not wanting to bring a lot of inventories in due to costs etc. It may not be the whole story but part of the puzzle.

Also look on ebay and a number e-tailers, every things seems to be "rare" and "LE" these days. I can't figure it all out. I think that is part of the puzzle as well.

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it’s not over.

I’ve had reef tanks off and on for 15 years and just got into zaos about 4 months ago. I’ve spent several hundred dollars on them over that time and have plans to sell some of the “rare” zoas I’m collecting and growing to local fish stores. Who don’t really ever get the cool color morphs available online. I will sell them based on for the most part. The rate of growth and how much room they take up in my tanks. With the exception of a few that I just can’t part with for as little as the lfs will give me. For example one of my favorite Purple Death. I think when some of these start becoming more popular in lfs the demand will come back for the truly “rare”(new) Zs and Ps.

So I don’t think it’s over
Maybe just leveling out a little

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did the divers quit going after new morphs? We see the same old solomon stuff and never any new palys that rock your world! Last couple years a new morph was surfacing every week! Ahh the chase!! LOL!

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny that you think there was that much thought into creating this site... :lol:

Actually RC said that we couldn't have a thermos swap posted in the zoo forum, it had to go into the general trading forum where it would have gotten burried. So after being denied by them several times I decided to start a little forum real quick so about 12 of us could do our trade. We kept talking over here and one thing led to another, here we are now. :)

Also I would add that several of the mods that started this site have given away numorous high end corals for site givaways and such.

And as far as being some inner circle of secret zoa collectors, I can only speak for myself, but I have a 12gallon nano with about 5 common morphs in it. :hammer:

out of those original people that started this site, how many are still in the game? cuz i know at least 50% of them are out of the hobby all together...so they definitely didn't profit. and out of those left......how many actually keep zoas?

b/c i know little old me only has like 4 zoa morphs left in my entire tank....lol

and i DEFINITELY didn't make virtually any money off of selling zoas. it was all about getting those awesome thermos trades together and established some really cool connections. what people did with those awesome zoas obtained in the trades set up on CZ is beyond me...but i know the majority of them didn't resell them on CZ.

if anything, the thing that perpetuated the continuation of the zoa craze was people not affiliated with CZ in any way, that tried to make profit off of OUR popularity! the zoa craze actually started several months before coralnutz.com was even started.

now, if someone was to say that zoaID.com was the site that started the craze.....then i would listen to them. IMO.....the whole name game thing is what started the zoa/paly craze. and if anyone who knew back when it started.....remembered the arguements i would get in with people over on RC about it....would know that i definitely wasn't interested in seeing zoas/palys get expensive.....lol

in fact, when we started CZ.....i remember the majority of us kinda wanted to squash the whole naming crap.....thats why we wanted to separate the naming forum away from the regular discussions, as the whole "ID me" threads were really getting out of hand and annoying.

RANT OVER :)

Last edited:

khuzhong

Moved on over
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<----- Still here, been here since the start, 5 years of zoas/palys
I think I've seen every thing possible, And then, something crazy shows up :)
Blue zoanthids were the "thing" when I first got hooked. $50-$60 for a small frag.... then things kind of slowed down... and then picked up again. All these palys started popping up. Colors I never imagined o_O I will admit, SOME prices are high, BUT that's what keeps the cool strains of palys/zoas going. More effort is put into growing them/fragging them and then getting them sold to someone else- Circle of life :) Now, if I lost my PD's, someone else is sure to have them available, unlike 4 years ago, I lose it, its gone.

redbacking.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back