4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your loss... :(:(:(:(

Not to take anything away from your sorrow, but as a newbie to this hobby/forum, it's heart warming to see the responses of this community....

Hope your lone surviving fish thrives, makes a full recovery and becomes Fish #1 of your new tank!!!

No, actually the responses I've found here and kindness is far more important than this story or thread by itself I 100% agree with you!

Thank you, by the way.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Places like this forum is where you can come for support from those that really understand the pain, grief and guilt we personally feel when catastrophes like this occur.
We know we have the support from our immediate family members and friends. And it may be unfair to say this, but most of those people don't know the true extent that we as hobbyists care...

Boy is that the truth, great observation and thank you for the kind words!

-Jason

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. my breaker tripped 2 nights ago sometime in the night and I got up to get something out drink and the kitchen was quiet so I ran to my breakers and it was tripped. luckily didn't lose anything and glad for that 3am glass of water. I did replace my breaker the next day just in case

AK_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, thats really sad. That situation has always been one of my biggest concerns when I go on Vacation. I work a 2x2 week remote location schedule and I will say the apex has been a real live saver if for no other reason than peace of mind. My wife watches the tank but it's really nice to get a text message when power goes out or any other perimeter is out of whack. I know they are expensive but it's completely changed my aquarium experience with being out of town two weeks a month. I wish you good luck with your next setup

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry about the losses. I can't imagine! Don't leave the hobby, just downsize a bit so it more manageable for your current life style.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef tank 'mentor' now himself sadly passed always used to say that a reef tank is 'skating on the thin edge of disaster'. OK, that was in the 1980's and equipment and knowledge has improved immeasurably since then, but our tanks are still vulnerable to the whims of things like power strips. I've had two major crashes myself - sucks and one drove me from the hobby for 4 years (little kids contributed to the decision)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef tank 'mentor' now himself sadly passed always used to say that a reef tank is 'skating on the thin edge of disaster'. OK, that was in the 1980's and equipment and knowledge has improved immeasurably since then, but our tanks are still vulnerable to the whims of things like power strips. I've had two major crashes myself - sucks and one drove me from the hobby for 4 years (little kids contributed to the decision)
I guess there's some truth to that though always. Thanks guys.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine your pain, I lost a beta I had for five years and it about killed me.
That shows compassion on your side. 5 years is a good life for a beta, friend.

Thank you much.

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sad, really sorry to hear this about your beautiful tanks and fish. My heart was pounding and my hands were sweaty as I read your post. I believe that we all feel for you and your dad, in this hobby we put so much effort, time and equipment together, man very tough. You are right people at work do not understand, i'm of pretty sound mind but after being in this hobby for a few years now it is almost therapeutic in nature.

Rick

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the kind words gents. Chain I agree, time to move. That was holding me back!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you... yes it really was not fun but worse things can happen I guess

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suffered a horrible incident that required a 35k insurance claim, destroying my loft and my neighbors. I lost my beloved seahorses and all fish/coral. It's hard when animals are under our care and the worst happens. It's hard not to feel responsible. The incident was enough that I sold the loft and bought a house. I still imagine my seahorses gasping for air.
Brutal and I'm sorry you gotta deal with this. What a nightmare.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suffered a horrible incident that required a 35k insurance claim, destroying my loft and my neighbors. I lost my beloved seahorses and all fish/coral. It's hard when animals are under our care and the worst happens. It's hard not to feel responsible. The incident was enough that I sold the loft and bought a house. I still imagine my seahorses gasping for air.
Brutal and I'm sorry you gotta deal with this. What a nightmare.
Oh that's horrible. I had an accident happen that did about 20k damage to a brand new build house a few years ago as well. This hobby has kicked me in the gonads a time or two, that's for sure!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back