Such a sad day...

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's before/after. It took 5 guys on a Sunday night to remove the standing water ☹️
Yeah this hobby certainly can cause serious trauma. When I began my new tank, my family thought I was insane... I agree completely
af28a6eb59c9c377b092d898a105b5b7.jpg
35a4a1e4db1cd00e08024d18758f8c5e.jpg
886c65bd48b8d85822a4f7d5a0553cc9.jpg

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's before/after. It took 5 guys on a Sunday night to remove the standing water ☹️
Yeah this hobby certainly can cause serious trauma. When I began my new tank, my family thought I was insane... I agree completely
af28a6eb59c9c377b092d898a105b5b7.jpg
35a4a1e4db1cd00e08024d18758f8c5e.jpg
886c65bd48b8d85822a4f7d5a0553cc9.jpg
Oh my... I think we are all a little nuts!

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg... I'm just now seeing this thread, and my eyes are watering like crazy. What an absolutely devastating scene to come upon. I am so sorry. :(

I can't imagine the trauma of cleaning that up. I once had a crash that wiped out a tank full of fleshy LPS corals in short order. In a desperate state of denial, I moved a bunch that "might still make it" (some dead, others 2 seconds away from death) to a new tank that was barely cycled. I clung to the hope of corals sprouting back to life, but instead they grew a thick white film of decay. When I cleaned that tank out, the stench so strong, I was legitimately worried my neighbors might call the police. I wish so badly I could forget that smell, but I likely never will. The cleanup took an emotional toll on me, and that was without losing fish, so I can't imagine how much worse your experience must have been.

I really do feel for you and your dad. So many of us have been through tank crashes, but this is beyond the scope of what most have experienced. I'm sure your wounds are still fresh, but the surviving angel is the beacon of light in this story. Spoil that fish, and let it be your inspiration for rebound. You are way too good at this to give up!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg... I'm just now seeing this thread, and my eyes are watering like crazy. What an absolutely devastating scene to come upon. I am so sorry. :(

I can't imagine the trauma of cleaning that up. I once had a crash that wiped out a tank full of fleshy LPS corals in short order. In a desperate state of denial, I moved a bunch that "might still make it" (some dead, others 2 seconds away from death) to a new tank that was barely cycled. I clung to the hope of corals sprouting back to life, but instead they grew a thick white film of decay. When I cleaned that tank out, the stench so strong, I was legitimately worried my neighbors might call the police. I wish so badly I could forget that smell, but I likely never will. The cleanup took an emotional toll on me, and that was without losing fish, so I can't imagine how much worse your experience must have been.

I really do feel for you and your dad. So many of us have been through tank crashes, but this is beyond the scope of what most have experienced. I'm sure your wounds are still fresh, but the surviving angel is the beacon of light in this story. Spoil that fish, and let it be your inspiration for rebound. You are way too good at this to give up!
Thank you!

I'll actually be breaking down those tanks to anticipate my move -- I'll be finding my survivor fish a new home soon. Anyone want a 4" annularis angel local to Indianapolis area? Sell her cheap!

Thanks for the kind words!

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw your post now. I have been working a lot & just started catching up on R2R posts. So very sorry about your loss.
But as others said, I sincerely hope you will stay in the hobby. I think the saddest loss of all would be if you did not continue.
After such a trauma, a break to recover/recover is only natural & much needed. Miss Saltwater tank went through a very similar situation and felt likewise. But after a break she returned to the hobby.
So many enjoy your posts because you write honestly & passionately about your tanks. You have helped so many hobbyists, myself included, in educating us on making wiser more informed decisions. You are a gifted & kind encourager to other hobbyists. So we encourage you to take a break & then please return to your passion. You have a very special talent for observation and innovative thought. Honestly from following you - you stand out as a conscientious innovator like John Copps. I think you have a special gift & have much to offer to this hobby.
Take time to recover. Hopefully you will start back. As your kids grow they can really benefit from your hobby. Your tanks teach biology, chemistry, task scheduling, critical thinking skills - just to name a few.
Keep us all updated when you can. Just remember - we feel you are a gifted positive contributor to R2R no matter what your decision.
Best wishes
Eva

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man, didn't read through this and actually didn't even see it until just now. Your one of the most contributing members of the forum it would be a huge loss to r2r if you dry it your tanks. :(

Keep them wet! Maybe just one at least.

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll actually be breaking down those tanks to anticipate my move -- I'll be finding my survivor fish a new home soon.

Completely understandable. I do hope you'll rebuild once you're in the new place, even if it's a couple years down the road. Create something every bit as beautiful and leave us all drooling with lust and sweating with envy!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw your post now. I have been working a lot & just started catching up on R2R posts. So very sorry about your loss.
But as others said, I sincerely hope you will stay in the hobby. I think the saddest loss of all would be if you did not continue.
After such a trauma, a break to recover/recover is only natural & much needed. Miss Saltwater tank went through a very similar situation and felt likewise. But after a break she returned to the hobby.
So many enjoy your posts because you write honestly & passionately about your tanks. You have helped so many hobbyists, myself included, in educating us on making wiser more informed decisions. You are a gifted & kind encourager to other hobbyists. So we encourage you to take a break & then please return to your passion. You have a very special talent for observation and innovative thought. Honestly from following you - you stand out as a conscientious innovator like John Copps. I think you have a special gift & have much to offer to this hobby.
Take time to recover. Hopefully you will start back. As your kids grow they can really benefit from your hobby. Your tanks teach biology, chemistry, task scheduling, critical thinking skills - just to name a few.
Keep us all updated when you can. Just remember - we feel you are a gifted positive contributor to R2R no matter what your decision.
Best wishes
Eva

Oh wow Eva. That was so kind and I am again very humbled. Don't worry, I still have one 180 gallon tank that I'll continue to maintain. I'll just be down to only that tank and a qt.

Next I need to find somewhere to park my tank while we wait for our new house to build! With any luck, someone local will be able to help.

Thanks again, friend. You are too kind.

Sorry man, didn't read through this and actually didn't even see it until just now. Your one of the most contributing members of the forum it would be a huge loss to r2r if you dry it your tanks. :(

Keep them wet! Maybe just one at least.

I'm not going anywhere, I'll have at least one tank up and I love this community too much to leave!

Thank you very much!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, just sold my annularis angel survivor. So sad to see her go, closes the door on this chapter.

I've drained all the water from her tank and will be breaking the other tanks all down tomorrow.

Harder for me than it should be.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's alright. I don't know why I'm still whining on here. I guess I figure you'll all understand. I'm not usually this dramatic.

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's alright. I don't know why I'm still whining on here. I guess I figure you'll all understand. I'm not usually this dramatic.

I think after what you've been through, you're having a far less dramatic response than many of us would! I wouldn't consider anything you've said to be whiny. This is the best place to find support from people who understand a fish is not "just a fish" and a tank is not just a decoration. We are all here for you!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

sanchoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I know that sting! Now, I have a 24/7 camera in front of my tank for that very reason. Decades a go. Had a tank overheat and pump go out, wad on 4 day vacation. Lone survivor was my purple tang. Invest in a camera.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back