M

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rick how's the heat with your Giesemann, and how high off the water are they

Hasn't been too bad so far. Tank temperature definitely rises about 1.5° - 2° when both of the halides are on. I keep the tank about 77° so it stays jus t under 80° when they are on. I am running rhem about 17" off the top of the water. Plan on lowering them a little bit after adding some more corals.

Nice fts, what is the last coral in pic?
Thanks! It's a Jack o lantern Lepto.

My best tip for running wiring in conduit... run the pH probe and ORP probe last... otherwise they will be super hard to replace!

Great looking build!

That is good advise. Once stuff is jammed in there it's a nightmare to access it, lol.

BoB_25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome...this is what I have been looking for. I want a display sump with my display tank! following!

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome...this is what I have been looking for. I want a display sump with my tank! following!

Thanks Bob! No reason to hide all the equipment. Most of us enjoy looking at equipment as much as the display, so why hide it!

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a real photo with the Canon today. Was busy so didn't get any with the Halides on. This was just T5's and Leds.

ACAN_zpscnkv4pto.jpg

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a couple of new inhabitants to the tank yesterday. They are being introduced with our Acclimation fallout Shelter. These fish came from @Dowtish tank. He unfortunately is taking a break from the hobby.

20160501_131826_zpsw7flzwie.jpg

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rick,

Are you using a flame polish on your acrylic edges (hydrogen/oxygen) or a machine/hand polish?

What brand of cell cast acrylic are you using?

I have an old Cam Tech 5' x 10' CNC router that I may upgrade but right now it is stripped down and used as a granite/quartz fabrication table.

Love the quality of your fabrication for the sumps, overflows, and tank...well done!

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rick,

Are you using a flame polish on your acrylic edges (hydrogen/oxygen) or a machine/hand polish?

What brand of cell cast acrylic are you using?

I have an old Cam Tech 5' x 10' CNC router that I may upgrade but right now it is stripped down and used as a granite/quartz fabrication table.

Love the quality of your fabrication for the sumps, overflows, and tank...well done!

Hey Lowell,

NEVER flame polish acrylic. Yes it looks nice, but it will craze within a few months and look like crap. We only hand sand and buff everything. Sweat equity is how to do it right :)

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Lowell,

NEVER flame polish acrylic. Yes it looks nice, but it will craze within a few months and look like crap. We only hand sand and buff everything. Sweat equity is how to do it right :)

Well the other method is to anneal the assembled units after completion...no one seems to want to buy the oven though...lol. I made thousands of tanks over the years and only a few crazed...most seem to be from people using alcohol or Windex as a cleaner...never a good idea even with a hand polish.

So are you using a MicroMesh product or just various abrasives by hand with a machine buff final?

Ever looked at Edge Finisher Corp's EF-100 or 200? I had one once and sent it back because I could not process the panel sizes they advertised even with the outfeed and infeed tracks.

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the other method is to anneal the assembled units after completion...no one seems to want to buy the oven though...lol. I made thousands of tanks over the years and only a few crazed...most seem to be from people using alcohol or Windex as a cleaner...never a good idea even with a hand polish.

So are you using a MicroMesh product or just various abrasives by hand with a machine buff final?

Ever looked at Edge Finisher Corp's EF-100 or 200? I had one once and sent it back because I could not process the panel sizes they advertised even with the outfeed and infeed tracks.

Yea, technically any 2 part bonded parts need annealing as well. Most large tank manufacturers that own ovens don't use them to anneal due to cost of running the ovens. They mainly use them for forming only. But improper cleaning can definitely craze any finish.

I am using various abrasives and machine buffing. But funny you mentioned the EF-200. We just purchased one and are putting it into production this week ironically. We do not do many large aquarium builds, so for us the EF-200 fits what we can use and should help put the final touches on a couple things we want polished. Most items will be small pieces and not full panels. The finish that we get with the polisher is hands down better than we can do on any edges without it.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using various abrasives and machine buffing. But funny you mentioned the EF-200. We just purchased one and are putting it into production this week ironically. We do not do many large aquarium builds, so for us the EF-200 fits what we can use and should help put the final touches on a couple things we want polished. Most items will be small pieces and not full panels. The finish that we get with the polisher is hands down better than we can do on any edges without it.[/QUOTE]

Nice. You will love the quick finish...but the replacement heads are very costly and don't last forever.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice new additions!

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been some ups and downs. Everything is stabilized now. Was fighting super high nitrates for some reason. They were 140 to 180 for over 2 months :eek::eek::eek: Now they are around 40 and slowly dropping. Lost some of my older SPS colonies. All LPS and fish are fine and doing great. Built a new BETA CARX and have been running that for about 2 months now. I will get some updated shots uploaded here soon!

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mixer911 ,
How are you liking the EF200? Have you tried bonding the polished edges to see what happens yet? I only purchased mine with the matte finish head and dropped the polycrystalline polish head so I never tried it. After trying to run the maximum panel sizes for a major aquarium store remodel I sent the unit back. It would not keep a flat surface even after making all the adjustments required. Replaced it with a shop made unit and power feeder for less than $1000.00. Still use the old set up once an a while. Loved the idea of the polished edge finish just thought the company did not give me a true scope of the machines abilities. I should have bought the larger unit but never got around to it.

OP
OP
M

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mixer911 ,
How are you liking the EF200? Have you tried bonding the polished edges to see what happens yet? I only purchased mine with the matte finish head and dropped the polycrystalline polish head so I never tried it. After trying to run the maximum panel sizes for a major aquarium store remodel I sent the unit back. It would not keep a flat surface even after making all the adjustments required. Replaced it with a shop made unit and power feeder for less than $1000.00. Still use the old set up once an a while. Loved the idea of the polished edge finish just thought the company did not give me a true scope of the machines abilities. I should have bought the larger unit but never got around to it.

It is working out great for our items. I have bonded a bunch of the diamond polished edges and they are turning out great. It can be a little tricky with larger pieces to get them to feed in square, but smaller stock has been pretty good. I almost think of it as a inverted vertical planner. We are using it a lot for polishing our overflow parts and the difference in the finished product is night and day. I also have the carbide matte finish head as well, but have not used it yet.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 37 42.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back