I think I’m privileged to have live barnacles!

Evas_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some research I believe barnacles are a prized hitchhiker? I noticed them under this chalice a couple of weeks ago and have been fascinated ever since. I love it when they twitch and contract - I’ve posted videos so you can see. I’m assuming that’s when they’re feeding? Had some downs and trials in the 8 months this tank has been evolving but I must be doing something right.

Would love to know what you guys think and to learn more about these beautiful creatures. Some other little critters visible too - they seem to be managable at the moment and part of the eco system. Lots of cuc types to nibble on it. Bumblebee snails spending lots of time on the rock work. DB57B6B5-BD9C-4F60-836C-5886DCAD40FE.jpeg 01907AB0-6FA1-4C0D-BB93-05B30611804E.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    6.4 MB
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    5.8 MB
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    6.1 MB
OP
OP
Evas_reef

Evas_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video clips don’t seem to be working. I’ll post on Instagram so people can see their movements. Any advice on posting videos welcome too. I’m a newbie so still learning.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video clips don’t seem to be working. I’ll post on Instagram so people can see their movements. Any advice on posting videos welcome too. I’m a newbie so still learning.
You can do y tube video then copy and paste on your post that’s what most members do

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got some mussels on the go and barnacles I had a bottle of salfert coral food says feeds filter feeders seems ok or plankton would be my first choice

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can scrape many pounds of them off the bottom of my boat every year. I am not really fond of the evil little buggers but the dozens of times I put them in my tank they only live less than a year.
They are not really fully sub marine animals but intertidal creatures. :)

OP
OP
Evas_reef

Evas_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can scrape many pounds of them off the bottom of my boat every year. I am not really fond of the evil little buggers but the dozens of times I put them in my tank they only live less than a year.
They are not really fully sub marine animals but intertidal creatures. :)
This post is fab! Love this hobby and learning about peoples’ diverse experiences.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we sure those are barnacles?

They kinda look like tunicates or sponges to me but hard to tell. In that first video (with the atinic lighting) the ones to the left close up as if they're soft flesh rather than hard shell.

Barnacles usually have this 'arm feather' looking thing coming out of a shell.

1689466571167.png

EDIT: Yeah in that third video that appears to me like a tunicate or potentially another coral colony.

EDIT 2: lol another thread that was made today about them, these are actually barnacles:

He got the perfect video to demonstrate how they open and close;

Last edited:
OP
OP
Evas_reef

Evas_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we sure those are barnacles?

They kinda look like tunicates or sponges to me but hard to tell. In that first video (with the atinic lighting) the ones to the left close up as if they're soft flesh rather than hard shell.

Barnacles usually have this 'arm feather' looking thing coming out of a shell.

1689466571167.png

EDIT: Yeah in that third video that appears to me like a tunicate or potentially another coral colony.

EDIT 2: lol another thread that was made today about them, these are actually barnacles:

He got the perfect video to demonstrate how they open and close;

This is so helpful! Thank you. I don’t think I’ve seen anything coming out of them. I’ll have a really close look and see. I’ll also research tunicates so interesting

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 45 34.6%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 14 10.8%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 59 45.4%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 27 20.8%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 30 23.1%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 16 12.3%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 35 26.9%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back