Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Heart of Dixie--------------------------Mtgy,Ala
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro and Furan 2 can be used with the kanaplex to help boost the spectrum of the antibiotics. It may help. You can add the furan-2 with a binder such as focus to their food. Garlic may also help entice them to eat more.
i stopped using the furan after i did the 4 doses per box, should i have continued to use it?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i stopped using the furan after i did the 4 doses per box, should i have continued to use it?

No i think you'll be ok then. Do the last dose of the kanaplex, keep the water clean and try to get them eating more. Using the garlic should help entice them to eat along with the vitamins. Give them a little more time to heal and see what happens. Their eyes may never heal completely, but they are progressing in a positive direction so I would just give them a little more time.

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro and Furan 2 can be used with the kanaplex to help boost the spectrum of the antibiotics. It may help. You can add the furan-2 with a binder such as focus to their food. Garlic may also help entice them to eat more.
should i do another treatment of furan to water or stay with kana, have 1 more dose tomorrow left of kana

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should i do another treatment of furan to water or stay with kana, have 1 more dose tomorrow left of kana

No. You already went through all the treatments of the furan 2 so finish off the kanaplex doses and give them some time to finish healing. Getting them to eat more will do wonders for their rehab time.

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. You already went through all the treatments of the furan 2 so finish off the kanaplex doses and give them some time to finish healing. Getting them to eat more will do wonders for their rehab time.
okay well they both seem still to be blind but the ost eyes look normal not swollen or clear but regular, they eat everytime i put mysis or seaweed in front of them, ok my last treatment is tomorrow i will change 5 gallons before my last dose of kana, then i guess ill let go 2 days and then do 5 gallons again and just go from there, selcon still on food after its soaked a little and lets hope they heal there eyes sight. they look great and i cant believe there still alive this long

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay well they both seem still to be blind but the ost eyes look normal not swollen or clear but regular, they eat everytime i put mysis or seaweed in front of them, ok my last treatment is tomorrow i will change 5 gallons before my last dose of kana, then i guess ill let go 2 days and then do 5 gallons again and just go from there, selcon still on food after its soaked a little and lets hope they heal there eyes sight. they look great and i cant believe there still alive this long

That's a good plan. Take it a step at a time and see what happens. I hope they recover their eyesight but it's not guaranteed. When @Humblefish gets back he might have another plan to get them further along.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on the tangs? How many times have you treated with both Furan & Kanaplex thus far?

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on the tangs? How many times have you treated with both Furan & Kanaplex thus far?
i did 4 doses or furan prior to the kana, I just did the 3rd dose of Kana this morning after a 5 gallon water change. this will complete the Kana dosage per instructions is there something else i can try ,they do eat if i hold in front of them but it seems like the selcon washes away when it hits the water

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a large WC, and then do another round of Furan & Kanaplex combined treatment. Antibiotics are notorious slow acting in fish, but this is still your best change of saving their eyesight. You could switch over to a different antibiotic like erythromycin if you wanted. Dose epsom salt again after doing the WC.

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a large WC, and then do another round of Furan & Kanaplex combined treatment. Antibiotics are notorious slow acting in fish, but this is still your best change of saving their eyesight. You could switch over to a different antibiotic like erythromycin if you wanted. Dose epsom salt again after doing the WC.
sounds good, Ill do that 2 days from now ,as in large u mean 50% or more, sorry to keep asking questions but im sure you understand

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds good, Ill do that 2 days from now ,as in large u mean 50% or more, sorry to keep asking questions but im sure you understand

Oh I understand. ;) 50% would be great and also run some carbon (if you can) overnight to remove any residuals.

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i did a 50% water change today but last night i noticed there eyes were clear again. Am i fighting a non winning battle? it seems like im back to day 1 using furan and kanaplex. maybe its something else beside a parasite, could it be tapeworm or turbellarians, Heck IDK ,Im getting kinda frustrated since ive tried everything so far

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The meds your giving him are for bacterial infections. Prazipro is for parasites like flukes- which is a broad term we use in the hobby for flatworms that attach to our fish. You could try the freshwater dip in a dark bucket to see if there are any flukes present that are giving the bacteria a place to infest. Until then, you should stick with the antibiotics. Verify the flukes are present, then revisit the prazipro option.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i did the FW dip way back nothing came off.. so ill stay this course with fana and kana.. i just wish they get better

You may want to switch over to erythromycin. I believe API makes "EM Erythromycin" or something like that. Just like with humans, different antibiotics treat different strains of bacteria. The one you are fighting may not be treatable with Kanaplex and/or Furan-2 (those just have the widest range of effect, but nothing is 100% inclusive.) You'd have to scope ID, in order to identify it, to know for sure.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im going to look for EM Erythromycin

Maracyn also contains erythromycin, but you have to double the dosage for SW use so it is an expensive way to go.

It has to be Maracyn. Maracyn Two contains a completely different active ingredient.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back