Where can i get this fish

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one know where i can get one of these and why there not on live aquaria anymore?

22E5D23F-CB79-44C8-AF0E-B34763D924C1.jpeg

OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking P. zonatus or P, rubripinnis. the op was adamant about not wanting a P. zonatus, It would be very hard for me to believe they are P, rubripinnis, the region these fish come from is very tightly controlled. For those that are looking for P. zonatus, this is a very good sign, as they come in waves, so check all your sources.

Scorps are always mis-identified, so when it doubt, get an actually pic of the one they are selling, not a stock photo, I was looking for a Parapterois heterura, a blackfoot lion, very hard to come by. There was a source that told me they had one, a member here on R2R verified it. I confirmed via email and asked for a pic of the actual fish. The 1st pic is a blackfoot lion, ome of mine, the 2nd pic is the type of lion they actually had, a zebra, also one of mine.

1663101844586.png

1663101936698.png
What’s the name of that lion with the blue markings I’ve never seen that before?

Upvote 0

YungSonTheSun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks and do you have any pics of them by any chance so I can see if they were the ones I was looking for?
I had mistaken the redfin for a rooster, I had the wrong fish. Those are extremely hard to find. 3 waspfish are easily accessible, Rooster, Cockatoo, Leaf Waspfish((brackish). The wasp-spine velvet fish is absolutely gorgeous but hard to find.

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any chance it could be pregnant? I don't know how to tell the difference in genders besides general body size comparison ya know?
I thought that too - I am leaning against it simply because I don’t know of any reports of captive breeding so I’d imagine it’s pretty hard.
Has there been any change in behavior?

Upvote 0

YungSonTheSun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that too - I am leaning against it simply because I don’t know of any reports of captive breeding so I’d imagine it’s pretty hard.
Has there been any change in behavior?
Not that I've noticed. There's 4 waspfish, 1 figure 8 puffer, and 1 dragon goby in a 75 gallon. I'm being extremely optimistic on it being pregnant and not bloat or something else unknown.

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have 4 of them and I don't know if I'm over thinking this but this one seems to be exceptionally big in the stomach, any idea?
1663104701120.png
1663104697370.png

They are gorgers, so it could be from pigging out. A female also does hold eggs, but this is likely an uncommon occurrence, as I have never seen it. Lety's try and sex them like their salt water cousins; the dorsal spines on a male will be elongated at the front while the females are more even though out. Can you see a difference between the 4 and guess which may be male or female. My white face girl always has a balloon belly, because she is huge piggie.

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting fish to spawn is the easier part... it is raising the fry that is hard.

Upvote 0

YungSonTheSun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are gorgers, so it could be from pigging out. A female also does hold eggs, but this is likely an uncommon occurrence, as I have never seen it. Lety's try and sex them like their salt water cousins; the dorsal spines on a male will be elongated at the front while the females are more even though out. Can you see a difference between the 4 and guess which may be male or female. My white face girl always has a balloon belly, because she is huge piggie.
That one is the largest in the tank so it could definitely be from eating a lot. Ill see if I can tell the difference when I get home tonight. Praying for little baby waspfish

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I've noticed. There's 4 waspfish, 1 figure 8 puffer, and 1 dragon goby in a 75 gallon. I'm being extremely optimistic on it being pregnant and not bloat or something else unknown.
So your other fish are brackish and neither of those 2 species will do well without some salt. Do your own research on keeping brackish fish, but I keep my brackish molly tank at 1.013.

Upvote 0

YungSonTheSun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your other fish are brackish and neither of those 2 species will do well without some salt. Do your own research on keeping brackish fish, but I keep my brackish molly tank at 1.013.
They're in a 75 gallon brackish, I keep mine around 1.008-1.010 cause anything higher than that affects the puffers skin. I want to fill this 75 with as many waspfish as the system can handle.

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one is the largest in the tank so it could definitely be from eating a lot. Ill see if I can tell the difference when I get home tonight. Praying for little baby waspfish
They're in a 75 gallon brackish, I keep mine around 1.008-1.010 cause anything higher than that affects the puffers skin. I want to fill this 75 with as many waspfish as the system can handle.

I don't believe they are live bearers, but I may be wrong, I'm going from the salt water variety. Your wasp are an euryhaline species, so they will be ok in a range of fresh, brackish, or marine. I'm finding these guys very interesting.

Upvote 0

YungSonTheSun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe they are live bearers, but I may be wrong, I'm going from the salt water variety. Your wasp are an euryhaline species, so they will be ok in a range of fresh, brackish, or marine. I'm finding these guys very interesting.
They're found in marine water naturally as well as some brackish areas. I wanted to convert some for my 20 gallon nano reef tank but I heard they don't do well in saltwater, I may be wrong.
These guys are what pushed me to find the Roosters and other species of the waspfish family. Would love to learn how they breed or what circumstances are needed for that to happen. Intriguing species overall considering one genus was discovered in 2020 I think?
Edit: Blotch-finned waspfish discovered in 2022.

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have 4 of them and I don't know if I'm over thinking this but this one seems to be exceptionally big in the stomach, any idea?
1663104701120.png
1663104697370.png

Here's my white face girl, they ate last night, you can see how round she is, she gets bigger than that, this girl can put it away.

20220913_210447.jpg

Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 124 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back