Where can i get this fish

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one know where i can get one of these and why there not on live aquaria anymore?

22E5D23F-CB79-44C8-AF0E-B34763D924C1.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for telling me, i was about to buy three fish from them. What’s the best online place I should get my fish now, i heard of dr reefs but they don't have as big of selection as everything else and the fish take forever to come?
The "best places" are places like Dr. Reefs where they QT their livestock, but if you're just looking for a place with a lot of variety like LiveAquaria then I've heard a lot of good things about Blue Zoo Aquatics recently.

Upvote 0

Tiki_Reef

My daily driver is a nano.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for telling me, i was about to buy three fish from them. What’s the best online place I should get my fish now, i heard of dr reefs but they don't have as big of selection as everything else and the fish take forever to come?
My best experiences are with the bigger online coral stores that also sell fish personally the best place to buy fish is your LFS so you can see them ask questions.

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lfs have access to all the fish that are available online. If your lfs doesn't want to look at their suppliers list's and see if what you want is available. and special order those fish, then you need to find another lfs. I have more than one lfs that will sign into their suppliers right in front of me and turn their screens so I can see what's available. Some suppliers maintain current in stock status and the lfs can put the item in their cart immediately. sometimes they may order the item and don't receive it when the supplier doesn't have an up to the minute in stock status. I pick up my fish in the shipping bag, test the sg in the bag, and adjust my observation tank to match the sg. Some prefer to allow the lfs to acclimate their order and pick up later, that's another conversation which you choose.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lfs have access to all the fish that are available online. If your lfs doesn't want to look at their suppliers list's and see if what you want is available. and special order those fish, then you need to find another lfs. I have more than one lfs that will sign into their suppliers right in front of me and turn their screens so I can see what's available. Some suppliers maintain current in stock status and the lfs can put the item in their cart immediately. sometimes they may order the item and don't receive it when the supplier doesn't have an up to the minute in stock status. I pick up my fish in the shipping bag, test the sg in the bag, and adjust my observation tank to match the sg. Some prefer to allow the lfs to acclimate their order and pick up later, that's another conversation which you choose.
I dont really have a lfs, the closest one is 2 hours away and i dont like that one and the next one is another 2 hours away so online is kind of my only option.

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dr Reefs takes custom orders, so you may want to shoot him an email.

The reason for the wait is that you're getting fully quarantined, healthy fish, not roulette-spin fish. Or, at minimum, conditioned fish that are eating well.

Upvote 1

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same LFS I bought that female from the other day ordered 5 more Friday and received them yesterday, and they all sold by closing time yesterday.

Are you talking P. zonatus or P, rubripinnis. the op was adamant about not wanting a P. zonatus, It would be very hard for me to believe they are P, rubripinnis, the region these fish come from is very tightly controlled. For those that are looking for P. zonatus, this is a very good sign, as they come in waves, so check all your sources.

Scorps are always mis-identified, so when it doubt, get an actually pic of the one they are selling, not a stock photo, I was looking for a Parapterois heterura, a blackfoot lion, very hard to come by. There was a source that told me they had one, a member here on R2R verified it. I confirmed via email and asked for a pic of the actual fish. The 1st pic is a blackfoot lion, ome of mine, the 2nd pic is the type of lion they actually had, a zebra, also one of mine.

1663101844586.png

1663101936698.png

Upvote 0

YungSonTheSun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking P. zonatus or P, rubripinnis. the op was adamant about not wanting a P. zonatus, It would be very hard for me to believe they are P, rubripinnis, the region these fish come from is very tightly controlled. For those that are looking for P. zonatus, this is a very good sign, as they come in waves, so check all your sources.

Scorps are always mis-identified, so when it doubt, get an actually pic of the one they are selling, not a stock photo, I was looking for a Parapterois heterura, a blackfoot lion, very hard to come by. There was a source that told me they had one, a member here on R2R verified it. I confirmed via email and asked for a pic of the actual fish. The 1st pic is a blackfoot lion, ome of mine, the 2nd pic is the type of lion they actually had, a zebra, also one of mine.

1663101844586.png

1663101936698.png
Also are you knowledgeable on the indian butterfly waspfish? I understand this is a reef community but you're a venom lover.

Upvote 0

Tiki_Reef

My daily driver is a nano.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1663101844586.png

1663101936698.png
P-zonatus is what I bought, but the OP said somewhere back in the beginning after coming to terms that P-rubripinnis is a unicorn fish that he would be interested in a P-zonatus.

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also are you knowledgeable on the indian butterfly waspfish? I understand this is a reef community but you're a venom lover.

I'm not familiar with that one, as it appears to a fresh/brackish variety. Have you seen one. They appear to be a mirror image of the little guys we are talking about in this thread. So my P. Zonatus thread would be an excellent guide for their care. I would make sure fresh vs brackish, because true brackish fish don't do well long term in fresh.

Upvote 0

YungSonTheSun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with that one, as it appears to a fresh/brackish variety. Have you seen one. They appear to be a mirror image of the little guys we are talking about in this thread. So my P. Zonatus thread would be an excellent guide for their care. I would make sure fresh vs brackish, because true brackish fish don't do well long term in fresh.
Well I have 4 of them and I don't know if I'm over thinking this but this one seems to be exceptionally big in the stomach, any idea?
1663104701120.png
1663104697370.png

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back